Latest News from the President
December 2 2013
Dear AGEN&AGEN-USA Inc members, US Department of State Alumni, friends and supporters,
I have recently started to see myself as a “not-for-profit entrepreneur” because I simply do not get economic profit by actively engaging myself in a not-for-profit industry. What takes more than 20 hours of my time weekly isn’t that much profitable. I mean I do not get billions of dollars in profit making by devoting so much time and energy to helping women entrepreneurs in Iguguno and Mwangata wards in what may be referred to as remote areas of Tanzania. I do not even get a few bucks by writing this email to update a not-for-profit devout individual like you. However, there is one great thing which I get out of this devotion; I am getting happier and happier daily as I hear and see the lives of women entrepreneurs and their loved one get transformed for better. I am even happier to learn that you take some of your time to read this email. Thank you very much. Neither an economic entrepreneurial venture nor money is capable of buying such happiness. And that is why I invite you at this time of holiday season as we approach a good new year 2014 to be happier by taking some of your time and energy to help the most need people of this world.
Our intervention in remote places of Sub-Saharan Africa and in particular Tanzania is nearly three years old. As you might know, this intervention is a product of the first United States Department of State Alumni Engagement Innovation Fund (AEIF) in 2011. While a significant number of other 2011 AEIF projects have ceased to operate, ours continues to exist and positively impact the lives of hundreds of women entrepreneurs. For example, the fund which was given to the entrepreneurs to be used for a revolving fund has nearly tripled. The fund positively impacts past and new rural women entrepreneurs. From humble beginnings many of these entrepreneurs have scaled up their businesses and they are determined to scale up more. They have also diversified some of their businesses and they need your help to diversify more because simply that is what they have to do to make ends meet..
We, through the not-for-profit organizations AGEN&AGEN-USA Inc you help create, continue to help them better their lives. Nearly, three years ago, we asked you “to click a mouse of your computer” to help us help the women entrepreneurs, you did so and our innovative project scored the highest of all AEIF projects in the whole of Sub-Saharan Africa. We come back to you once again to request some help because the entrepreneurs have relatively grown up and they need additional assistance and skills. Similarly, we, under the umbrella of AGEN&AGEN-USA Inc., have grown up and need some help from you for us to be able to strongly stand up on our feet.
Here are the few ways you can help and be happier:
· Visit over 400 women entrepreneurs in Singida and Iringa regions of Tanzania just to give them a word of encouragement and for cultural exchange. Majority of the women entrepreneurs have experience of hosting volunteers from USA, UK, Australia and Germany from a few weeks to over six months. Interesting experience is guaranteed. AGEN&AGEN-USA Inc can help you arrange for this.
· Bring trainers, researchers, students and volunteers to spend some times in our innovative project sites. This can facilitate improvement of our intervention and at the same time facilitate replication of best practices to other Sub-Saharan countries and the rest of the world. New practices to help inform scholarly community are guaranteed and we are here to help.
· You can join us and become a dedicated member. We still have room for both ordinary and board members. Please, request our policy, if you are ready to seriously dedicate at least three hours of your time per week. This is going to be a rewarding experience for those who will truly dedicate their time.
· You can like and tell others to like our facebook page at www.facebook.com/agenusainc This is a rewarding experience. You can equally learn more about us at www.agentz.org There you can also access video clips of some of the successful entrepreneurs. I will do my best to update you.
· You can donate only a few dollars to help us provide quality monitoring, training and counselling. Your donation will also be used to increase the women’s revolving fund to help us reach additional number of entrepreneurs. We will also be able to maintain our website and social media tools as well as make more interesting video clips to update you on our interventions. We have launched a fundraiser at a reputable fundraising site. Your donations are tax deductable (for those living in USA) and safe. Here is a link to our fundraiser: http://www.crowdrise.com/yes-women-can/fundraiser/agenusainc (you can donate as low as $10). Your donation will be used to facilitate our charitable mission. You will never regret your decision to donate and help this venture. We guarantee nothing but happiness for those who help and support us. Here, we mean the lives of hundreds of women entrepreneurs will continue to be better as years go on and you will be happier for that.
Please get involved today. As we approach a new year, we request you, as devout and great not-for-profit entrepreneur, to open a new chapter in your devotion to charitable purpose by supporting a program which truly impacts the lives of grassroots entrepreneurs in innovative ways.
Thank you very much for your support and we are looking forward to hearing from you sooner than later. It is a new happier beginning. And…
We wish you a great holiday season and happy New Year 2014
Rasel Madaha, a “not-for-profit entrepreneur”
N.B. I will be posting an interesting link to a video clip titled “ A proposal by Women Entrepreneurs” at www.agentz.org and www.facebook.com/agenusainc so keep eyes open
AGEN and AGEN-USA Inc. are one but affiliate organizations: AGEN oversees operations in Sub-Saharan Africa whereas AGEN-USA Inc. oversee operations in both the United States of America and Sub-Saharan Africa.
Please Support our Projects
AGEN-USA Inc., overseeing check, money and online donations from US and across the globe, is a not-for-profit Public US International NGO with 501 (C) 3 United States IRS Tax Exempt Status. AGEN-USA Inc. is registered with Charities Bureau under Attorney General of New York state; registration number 43-15-29.
You can either donate today or express your interest to donate If you experience difficult donating at this webpage, please visit the following page:
It is our mission that we use your donation to organize resources for the poor. We have managed to use a grant of $25,000 to organize resources worthy $300,000 to run a successful project in Sub-Saharan Africa and launch a 501 (c) 3 Tax exempt AGEN-USA Inc. in America. Not a single expense is incurred without the approval of one of the most informed and trustworthy board of directors in the World. You can count on AGEN-USA Inc. to make this world a better one. Donate to AGEN-USA Inc. and 95% of your donation is in the hands of impoverished grassroots people (who will multiply that donation three or four times and pass it to others in desperate situation) in America and Sub-Saharan Africa. Help the poor to help themselves and be independent by donating to AGEN-USA Inc. and AGEN today (AGEN-USA Inc. oversees all donations as per 501 (c) 3 requirements).
PayPal securely processes all of donations. If you don't have a PayPal account, you can use your credit card or bank account to give your donation. Thank you so much.
Please make Checks and money order payable to AGEN-USA Inc. and then Mail them to :
C/0 Divine Muragijimana, Board Member
443 E. 17th St.
Brooklyn, NY NY 11226
AGEN in Sub-Saharan Africa
Affirmative action on Gender Equality Network (AGEN), initially known as Africa Grassroots Gender Empowerment Network (AGGEN) was established de facto in 2008 when its initial founders, Tanzania's Fulbrighters, were brought together by Ms. Diana A. Carvalho. This lady was the Coordinator at the Dar es Salaam U.S Embassy overseeing U.S. Department of State Fulbright and Humphrey Alumni programs in Tanzania. While Ms. Carvalho brought together the Fulbright alumni as part of her job description, she always went an extra mile beyond her job description, by creating and strengthening relationship, firstly between her and the alumni and secondly, among alumni themselves. Through that relationship the idea of establishing AGEN emerged. The driving force for its establishment was to foster cooperation among U.S Department of State Alumni in Tanzania and beyond and make change to the society. Today, AGEN-Africa has extended its presence in all of Sub-Saharan Africa where its members have started to open AGEN country specific branches as semi-autonomous Not-for-profit NGOs in their respective countries. Please visit all pages of this website for details.
AGEN-USA Inc. in the United States of America
AGEN-USA Inc. has been incorporated in New York State, USA since February 6 2012.
The main purpose of AGEN-USA Inc. is to network Sub-Saharan immigrants in New York, USA with the aim of fostering collaboration among themselves and eventually reconnecting them with men and women in Sub-Africa to boost everlasting social, cultural and economical collaboration. AGEN-USA Inc. will conduct all lawful activities that may be useful in accomplishing the foregoing purpose to network resources and empower scholars (US Department of state alumni members and other interested scholars) and activists dedicated to gender empowerment and human rights promotion in Sub-Saharan Africa, to share their expertise to empower women and men through provision of financial services, cutting edge monitoring, capacity building training and awareness raising campaigns so as to boost target population's socioeconomic wellbeing and thus create self-confidence which is important for meeting Sub-Saharan Africa's life challenges and fostering Sub-Saharan Africa collaboration with the United States. AGEN-USA Inc. will also serve as an Affiliated, but autonomous organization, of Affirmative action for Gender Equality Network (AGEN) which is a Sub- Saharan Africa international NGO whose headquarter is in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania. In furtherance of the foregoing purposes, the AGEN-USA Inc. shall have all the general powers enumerated in section 202 of the Not-for-Profit Corporation Law together with the power to solicit grants and contributions for any corporate purpose and the power to maintain a fund or funds of real and/or personal property for any corporate purposes. The corporation shall have the right to exercise all other powers which are, or hereafter may be, conferred by law upon a corporation organized for the above purposes, or which are incidental to the conferred powers.
Both AGEN and AGEN-USA Inc. are Not-For-Profit organizations that solely depend on members' and well-wishers in-kind and cash donations. AGEN-USA Inc. and AGEN-Africa use your donations to further their charitable purposes as set forth in section 501 (c) 3 of the United States Internal Revenue code of 1986. Neither AGEN-USA Inc. nor AGEN-Africa accepts donations for purposed other than those clearly stipulated in our purpose.
1. If you are AGEN-USA Inc and AGEN member (or would like to actively become one of our potential volunteers to offer services to our target population), please click here
2. If you are a member, volunteer or employee of AGEN-USA Inc., please request a copy of the latest version of AGEN-USA Inc. policy. Failure to oberve AGEN-USA Inc. policy may jeopordize AGEN-USA Inc.'s 501 (c) 3 IRS status and may lead to undesirable outcomes to the violators. This rule equally applies to all who are currently engaged in AGEN-USA Inc. activities.
Our approach heavily borrows from our mission. Here, AGEN&AGEN-USA Inc. employs a PARTICIPATORY approach in all of their interventions. This approach stresses the importance of taking local people’s perspectives into account and giving them a greater say in planning, implementation, managing, monitoring and evaluation processes.
We do believe that local people, community based organizations, grassroots NGOs and other stakeholders need to fully participate in their projects, if sustainability has to be attained. AGEN&AGEN-USA Inc. has decided to take this approach in changing the lives of poor people because many low-income individuals and groups feel that they have no voice in the society, that they are not listened to even when they are asked for their opinions. In this regard, a significant number of "top down" projects which are conceived and implemented by a variety of developmental players do not succeed. Our approach is to change the paradigm since we subscribe to the view that if people are integral to the planning of community intervention, then that intervention will be theirs. They would have a stake in it not only as its beneficiaries but also as it originators. They will do what is possible to see their work succeed.